Friday, January 7, 2011

Words

The last few days I have spent creating words from a mish mash of letters.  Word Twist on Facebook is a favorite pastime, but nothing beats the feel of the wooden tiles in my hand.  My mom and I have been playing Scrabble for hours on end the last few days.  It is so much fun!  (Mostly its fun because I win the majority of the time).  No electronic gizmos to help make the words, add up the points, or magically make new letter tiles appear.  Plus, its quality time with my favorite person.  Is it really that pathetic that I spent my Friday night playing an old-lady game with my mom?  I think not.

What is pathetic is that I refused to let two ladies with dementia have a fighting chance of winning when I played with them.  My Scrabble fetish was reawakened when I had to work with two dementia patients on the dreaded 4th floor.  They were very sweet ladies and we had ourselves a nice little game of Scrabble.  You would think that playing Scrabble with two dementia ladies would be annoying to say the least.  Not so.  The one lady was kicking my ass, and she played the game with the expertise of an experienced Scrabble player!  I'll be damned if I'll let an 89 year old lady with dementia beat my sorry ass in Scrabble.  I had to pull out my competitive tricks, and I actually did end up beating those two ladies.  Not sure what would have been more embarrassing to admit:  That the ladies kicked my ass or that I kicked theirs.

Anyway, it was me who did the ass kicking.  And I'm not too embarrassed to admit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment