Saturday, April 23, 2022

Supporting Actress

 I just got done reading "Helen Keller" (and watching all three different movie variations).  The relationship between Helen Keller and Annie Sullivan really resonated with me, even leading me to sentimental tears on a few occasions.  I've watched Helen Keller a few times in the past, and have always been in awe of Helen.  This time through, I became in awe of Annie Sullivan.  She is, after all, the Miracle Worker.  A silent, steadfast teacher who, essentially, gave up her own life so that Helen could have one.  Helen gets all the limelight and fanfare, but it is because of Annie that Helen was able to succeed.

Some other supporting ladies I have related to is Olivia de Havilland's Melanie from Gone With the Wind, and Barbara Hershey's character (Hillary) from Beaches.   I greatly admire Scarlet O'hara's guts, sass, tenacity, and remarkable talent.  However, I relate more to Melanie: loyal, determined, moral, and full of love.  Scarlet is loud, glitzy, the star of the show.  Melanie is....forgettable.

In Beaches, CeCe (played by Bette Midler) is again, the star of the show.  Its been a looooong time since I have seen this movie, but the character of Hillary has always stuck with me.  It is because of Hillary that CeCe was able to be who she was; a successful entertainer.   CeCe is memorable and talented while Hillary is forgettable and supportive.  (In fact, I had to look up the name of Barbara Hershey's character's name while I fully remembered CeCe.)    

Annie, Melanie, and Hillary.  Three supporting actresses who have made a mark on my heart, and I think I discovered why.  I, too, am a supporting lady.  Like the above supporting ladies, I am silently supporting those around me in ways that may go unnoticed.  From my friends to family members to people at my job.  Many of the kids I work with do not remember my name.  However, I choose to believe they remember some of the things I have said or done while they have been in my care.  Many little seeds of hope and healing have been planted by this supporting actress in the 23 years working with suicidal children.

I enjoy my supporting role, and in fact, have come to embrace it.  Its in my soul.  I believe it is a part of my purpose on this Earth.  What a beautiful, fulfilling, and honorable role to have.  I'm grateful it is mine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment