Monday, April 4, 2011

The Klepto in Me

The other day I ran a few errands at Wal-Mart, came home, and put my belongings away.  I get very distracted sometimes when I put away groceries or bags of newly bought purchases.  This day was going quite well, and things were getting put in their rightful places pretty efficiently.  Upon going through my bags, I realized that the cashier who kindly placed my bags in the cart at Wal-Mart neglected to put my fish tank filters in my cart.  It clearly showed up on my receipt that I paid for them, but they were nowhere to be found in the bags at home.

I gave Wal-Mart a call hoping they would be able to credit my card for the purchase rather than have me drive all the way back to the store to pick up what I had already bought.  I didn't need the filters that badly and gas is too pricey to make unnecessary trips anywhere.  So I give them a jingle and explain what happened.  The operator person tries to connect me to the service desk for some help.  Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring.  I listen to the damn phone ring for 3 minutes!  I was annoyed and growing more frustrated by the moment.  I hang up, call back, and ask for the store manager this time.  I explain my situation, and also my frustration of not having my call answered the previous time.  The manager was very nice and connected me to the service desk where I again had to explain my situation.  Longish story short(er), they were able to credit my account for the purchase price of the missing fish filters.  OK . Done.

About 5 minutes later, I take a trip downstairs where I find the missing filters on the ledge going down to my basement.  Apparently I had set them down there when trying to shut the cats up while I was putting away the belongings.  Their cat food is on that ledge so I put the filters down next to the cat food.  Yeah, my memory is horrid.  In fact, I have now stooped to the level of writing myself notes and taping them to my bathroom mirror to help me remember the important stuff.  And even then, stuff gets forgotten. 

Anyway, Did I call Wal-Mart back and tell them my "oops", that I actually did have the filters and now I just technically innocently manipulated my way out of paying for them?  Naw.  I left well enough alone and figured I got me some free fish tank filters.  It was an honest enough mistake, and it was only around $6.  Mr. Sam Walton isn't going to go broke from that, and it isn't like the poor cashier is going to have to pay for them.  I still feel a little guilty about it though, and hope I don't turn into a regular kleptomaniac.

Oh, and sometimes, I push the elevator button to close the door when I know people are walking towards the elevator to get on.  Yeah, I'm a bad ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment