Saturday, January 21, 2012

Freedom

My niece finally moved out.  This makes me both ecstatic and a little bit sad.  Ecstatic because I have my house to myself again.  I can pee with the door open, move around without wondering if I am disturbing the resident in my basement, and leave my house without worrying if there will be a drug deal or a robbery (or worse) at my house.  I have reason to believe she acquired a gun so the potential certainly existed for some shady shenanigans.

However, I really wanted to be the person who turned my niece around.  The hero.  The person she remembered to have been the only one who believed in her when everybody else abandoned her.  The one she thanked, years from now, when she was somewhat successful because of the guidelines I set up for her when she came here. 

.........The one that would visit me in the nursing home when I have nobody left...........

Not all bad came of this, though.  She did get a job which is a big step.  Whether or not she'll keep the job remains to be seen, but at least she is a productive member of society for the time being.  She seems to be be free from shooting up (though I think she is using synthetics).  The vial of liquid turned out to be........water (though I don't doubt her mom would have lied for her).

And the manner in which she left my house was not confrontational or difficult.  It was a mutual decision once she got her job in Cloquet.  She can't drive; therefore, getting to and from her job would have proved quite challenging.  Plus, I kept the invitation open of visiting me on weekends or whenever. 

At any rate, I am happier, considerably less stressed, and am embracing my ability to pee with the door open.

1 comment:

  1. I am proud of you and I think you are a hero! Wish it could have been better too for the little girl that helped me in my little pumpkin patch. We can all still pray for her.
    Love your big heart.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete