Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hide-n-Seek

Halloween is one of my very favorite times of year.  Fond memories of sorting out my trick or treat candy into organized piles return to me each October 31st.  I counted each stack of Peanut Butter Cups, Milky Ways, and Snickers with the latter two always vying for first place for having the most quantity.  After sorting, counting, and eating the treats, I would have to find a seemingly safe hiding place so my brother's didn't get their dirty hands on my hard earned candy. 

These days, I now have to find a seemingly safe hiding place so I don't get my dirty hands on my not so hard earned candy. 

As a person who is always prepared way too far in advance, I like to have my Halloween candy purchased long before the Big Day.  My problem is that all of the candy is often eaten before it even has a chance to be tossed into Elmo's pumpkin bucket. 

One year I resorted to keeping the candy in the trunk of my car in hopes that "out of sight, out of mind" might take effect.  That works with some things, but not with chocolate.  I took many a trip out to my vehicle to retrieve the devious candy calling my name from the darkness of my trunk. 

Another tactic was to buy candy I don't much care to eat.  The problem I encountered with that trick was that "desperate times call for desperate measures" took effect.  If there is a candy craving, I will eat whatever I can get my teeth into.  Even if I don't love it.  Who am I kidding, though? I like All candy.

I guess I just have to wait until closer to Halloween before buying any candy even though it is causing me a bit of anxiety not to be prepared.  It just doesn't work so well when the seeker of the candy is also the hider of the candy.  Especially when the seeker is ravenously addicted to chocolate.

1 comment:

  1. Got a really great chuckle from your blog, I can just picture your Halloween candy calling from the trunk of your car. :o)

    ReplyDelete