Saturday, January 1, 2022

Connecting Again (Part 1)

 Christmas 2021 was a milestone for me and my family.  For the first time since my mom died, eight years ago, we gathered together as a whole family on a holiday.  Since my mom has been gone, we have pretty much ignored any holidays, and certainly have not gotten together on any holiday.  For the first few years, Christmas did not even exist for us.  Never have we acknowledged a Thanksgiving as a family.  All doing our separate things.  Sure, there might be a stray text or perhaps even a phone call, but to celebrate and enjoy has been foreign to my family for eight years. 

This year, it just kind of came together.  I had plans to go to my dad's house certainly.  Naturally Bill would be there.  Then I invited my aunt Dorie, who is a very youthful 86!  Then John came on board on the 23rd, and finally Jim decided to come.

My energy and motivation is very lacking so I was quite up front and told all that I would not be making or providing food.  Just a gathering would be sufficient.  Though I felt a little guilty about my lack of bringing more festivity, I was happy to just have the family together on a holiday.  And bless Jim's girlfriend Shelly, who brought cheese and crackers.  And bless Bill's lady friend Judi who brought over 1/2 ham and some other leftovers.  It all came together.  Though it wasn't perfect, it was lovely and nice and wonderful.  

Even Amy came, which was her first family function of mine that she has attended.  It felt complete to have her there.  It could be material for a whole separate blog post, but she was the recipient of John's foot flakes when he took off his sock to show his healing burned up foot.  His skin flaked off and flew right at her face!  Was a funny memory for sure.  What a hazing!  

Though it was only a two hour gathering, it was a very important two hours.   We had our first family Christmas in 8 years, and hopefully it won't be our last.  We can build from here.  


No comments:

Post a Comment