Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My Parents are Homeless

Tomorrow I become a homeowner. Again. Exactly 5 years ago this month, I bought my first little house. And little it is. I love it. Its perfect for me and my cats, and small enough to heat and pay mortgage. Tomorrow, I will own a second house.

My home actually.

My parents are putting their house, my childhood home, in my name as preparation for the end of their lives. My Dad is in his 70's and my mom is getting close to the big 7-0 herself. They figure that it is better that I have ownership of their house in case something should happen or they end up in a nursing home. Its hard to think about so I simply won't. However, that is not going to stop me from having some fun being their landlord so to speak.

Already I have told them they are not allowed to smoke in "my house".....they just laugh and reinforce to me that I am not allowed to make new rules or kick them out.

Getting ownership of my childhood home will, obviously, be bittersweet. I am so thrilled to know that this home will forever be a part of our family, unless I decide to sell it of course. It gives me piece of mind to know that some strangers will not take up residence in the very home that holds so many memories and laughs.

Still, its a reminder of the inevitable. And in reminding me of that, it is also a reminder to appreciate each day I am fortunate enough to still spend with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment