Saturday, December 25, 2010

Blessed

Merry Christmas!  I mean that sincerely this year.  Most years when I am scheduled to work, the phrase becomes, "Merry Fucking Christmas", but this year it sincerely is a Merry one.

Even though I was scheduled to work the entire Christmas holiday from the two days prior, the days of, and three days post, I had a very enjoyable and fulfilling holiday.  We only have two kids at work on Christmas, which is both a good thing and a bad thing.  Two kids is better than ten meaning that most kids were home with their families where they belong.  Two kids could also lead to the dreaded floating to other floors or the blessed getting a no-pay-day.  Neither of which happened for me which meant I got to remain on the unit, with the kids I know so well, and with coworkers who are my second family.

My personal family celebrations went fine and dandy.  Some usual family drama, but a generally uneventful gathering.  For me, this year, my favorite time was spent at work and watching the two kids open up their gifts with sincere excitement and appreciation was so....fulfilling.

One little girl is 7 years old, wears the badge of abuse on her forehead by the hands of her own mother, and is in the process of being removed from her family.  The other patient is a 17 year old boy who still believes in Santa Claus and will not be returning home to his alcoholic mother after discharge.  Both opened up their meager gifts with such gusto and innocence.  As the little girl was putting on her costume jewelry and tiara, she looked up to the empty air and said, "Merry Christmas, Mama".  The three of us staff who witnessed this scene exchanged sympathetic glances at one another and quietly wiped the tears forming in our eyes.

Yes, this year I felt very fortunate to be at work.  Very fortunate to be a part of what was an otherwise unfortunate Christmas for those kids.  Very fortunate I could help make it a little more special and memorable for them.  Very fortunate indeed.

1 comment: