Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Elf-Stravaganza!

Tomorrow I am hosting my annual Elf night.  It is when the Christmas season officially begins.  Ever since seeing the movie Elf in the theater, my friends and I have watched it together every year.  The party keeps growing and it is possibly my most anticipated night of the year.  This year, I welcome a newcomer to Elf Night.  Hopefully she won't be scared off by my baking talents.

Rarely do I get the opportunity to bake or cook for more than just me.  Whenever opportunity knocks, I get a little bit excited....and a little bit nervous.  A lot of sugary goodness is on the menu for tomorrow night, and I started my prep work tonight.

Several months ago, I had a hankering for Angel Food Cake and picked up a cake mix only to come home to find I didn't have the appropriate pan but rather I had a bundt cake pan.  Years ago I did attempt to defy all odds and create the perfect Angel Food cake in a bundt cake pan which only resulted in an overflowing mess in my oven.  Lesson Learned.  So I shelved that box of recently purchased cake mix and waited until my Birthday wish for an Angel Food Cake pan was granted.

Since Strawberry Shortcake is on the menu for tomorrow, I thought it would be a perfect time to break in my new pan and make that cake.  All was going grand until it was time for the cake to come out of the oven.  I didn't have the recommended glass bottle in which to place the pan upside down upon so I used a long stemmed goblet.  All would have been fine had the balance not shifted resulting in the pan, and cake, fumbling to the floor.  Quickly I picked up the cake, rescuing it from doom.

Once it cooled, I removed the cake from the pan only to find a very lopsided delicacy.  
I should have my guests sign a waiver:
"Not responsible for choking on cat hair".

My friend said it perfectly when she said, "I'm pretty sure it will still taste delicious! Elf ate gum off of hand railings so a little cat hair Angel Food Cake will be just fine!" 

I'm glad she thinks so since I won't be making another one, and this one will be served along with some exploded mini molten lava cakes.

No special effects were involved in taking this photo.

These will also be served.  They taste delicious!  I should know, I had to eat the "mistakes" though you wouldn't know that only survivors are left.  They all look like mistakes to me.

I'm hoping that the attendees of my Elf party read this blog after Elf has been watched and the horrible food consumed.  One final photo illustrates the challenges of baking in a tiny kitchen with three nosy cats about.  And why I really hope you read this after our party.

I promise she did NOT lick the cake.  For real.


2 comments:

  1. and all was wonderful and delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo AS, absolutely delicious!! You are the hostess with the mostest! I ate my chocolate lava cake and was in absolute heaven. The holidays really can begin now!!

    ReplyDelete