Thursday, July 28, 2011

Learning to Trust

Until recently, I never understood it when I heard people say, "God spoke to me" or "God told me.....".  On an emotional night a few weeks ago, I turned to my journal as a means to sort out my emotions and thoughts on the world.  This particular night, I was journaling and praying.  I'm not a super religious person, but I do consider myself quite spiritual.  I have had one way conversations with God, and I do pray and count my blessings most every night.

After I was done journaling on this evening, I revisited some old journal entries which sometimes brings about a greater understanding of what I am experiencing at the moment.  I came across an entry from February of 2010.  I was reflecting on the past year (2009) and I wrote:

"2009 was the year I learned to trust.....Trust in life, trust in God."

Upon reading this, I immediately felt a sense of peace that what I was fretting over was going to be OK.  With this new found sense of contentment, I wiped away my tears, smiled, and surrendered to sleep.

It was a pretty profound moment which resurfaced with me today.  And then I understood.  God spoke to me.  For the first time, He spoke to me.  Or rather, for the first time, I heard Him.  He spoke to me, through my own words, and reminded me again to Trust. 

Trust.

Such a big word and an even bigger concept.

But a concept I think I understand.

1 comment:

  1. Trust is a bigger word than most people realize I think. And it's very difficult to exercise. Growing older generally makes people cynical I think.

    Fickle Cattle
    http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete