Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Carnie By any Other Name

Every time this year a carnival comes to town.  A rinky dink, traveling carnival complete with fast rides, expensive games, and carnies.  Our city has a sordid history with carnies that led to the hanging of 3 innocent African Americans back when lynching was still commonplace. 

The carnival also marks the first time I made a vulgar comment directly to an adult.

I was in 6th or 7th grade at the time.  A friend and I were at the carnival by ourselves having a grand ole time on the rides and just walking around doing what pre-teens do.  We happened upon the Tilt-A-Whirl.  My friend wanted to ride and begged me to join her.  I protested.  Rides that move in a fast circular motion results in an upset tummy for me.  Hell, even riding in the backseat of a moving car gets me a little queasy.  So I declined her offer to accompany her on the Tilt-A-Whirl.

The ride operator heard our conversation and offered a proposition.  This nice man said, if I waved to him when I felt a little ill, he would stop the ride. 

What a nice guy!  So, I hopped on aboard the Tilt-A-Whirl and was happily whirling around and around and around. 

Then, my stomach started feeling a little unhappy.

On the next go 'round, I waved to the nice man to signal him that I was beginning to get sick in anticipation of him stopping the ride.  Only he waved back as though he were waving at a long lost friend with a goofy smile upon his face. 

Huh, this nice guy must have misunderstood my wave for a hello.  So, I try again and flag him when I we go around him again.

He chuckles again, waves again, and made that damn ride twirl faster.  And faster.  And faster.  And he kept us on longer than usual too.  Just to see a young girl barf. 

I wish I could have barfed because I would have let loose on his shoes, or better yet, in his face.  But, the contents of my stomach stayed at bay.  Instead, I got off the ride, looked at the laughing carnie and called him an Asshole.

Yes, an Asshole. 

Not exactly the worst thing I could have said, but at the time, I thought I was shattering the child/adult barrier.  And it left a big enough impact that I remember that moment every year when the carnies roll into town.

No comments:

Post a Comment