Sunday, June 26, 2011

Whispers

Oprah always said that if the Universe wants to teach you a lesson, it will start like little whispers in your ear.  If you don't hear the whispers, the message becomes a bit stronger until eventually a tragedy happens.  All along, you realize that, had you heard the whispers, you could have prevented that tragedy. 

I think I'm hearing whispers.

For a while, I have thought about getting some mace or pepper spray.  I am out on the trails, by myself, all. the. time.  I roller blade solo. I hike solo.  I go into the depths of thick forests where there are no houses nearby, and usually no people.  Once in a while I think that I could get attacked by a sex crazed maniac.  So far my back up plan is to begin to pick my nose and then eat it in attempts to disgust the perpetrator.  My luck, he'd be turned on.

Even more than me getting attacked by people, there are all sorts of wild life that could attack as well.  I have already come face to face with a bear, and watched as an angry deer chased a friend's dog (whispers?). 

And beyond my own safety is the safety of my own dogs who have now been attacked by large dogs on more than one occasion (whisper?).

Last time I went out walking, another hiker mentioned she now carries pepper spray in order to combat angry dogs since her dog has been mauled by a pit bull (whisper?).

Then, as I am starting to write my blog, on pepper spray, a character on the TV show that happens to be on right now, mentioned "pepper spray" (whisper?).

So I have been hearing all sorts of whispers.  I think its time to get me some pepper spray and hope I never have to use it.  But at least I would be prepared just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment