Friday, April 23, 2010

10,000 steps

My insurance company through work has yearly incentives which, if completed, save us $10 per month off our insurance. We have to sign up for these incentives and record our progress or activity level, depending on the event a person chooses.

This year, I chose the 10,000 step program. The goal is to get 10,000 steps in one day. The real reason I signed up for this program is because each participant gets a free pedometer. I'll do anything for a free something or other. Nevermind that I already have 2-3 other pedometers that I got free from sending in Special K box tops. Those other pedometers have sat untouched for many years, but somehow this new pedometer will make all the difference in the world.....right.

This incentive program is only an 8 week course so I will have this new free pedometer attached to my hip like an extra appendage. Actually, it looks kind of like a diabetic pump sitting there on my hip. It seems to be fairly accurate, but it only measures steps so my roller blade activity did not get counted on my new appendage. I figured out how many "steps" per minute I took while roller blading and just multiplied that by how many minutes I roller bladed. In this case it was 40minutes so I got myself an extra 3200 steps today.

So far today I am down about 4000 steps so I think I am going to go walk around my house for a few minutes to bump up that number. Happy walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment