Sunday, April 4, 2010

Those Damn Dogs

Missy and Tiki are both rescue dogs from the shelter. They belong to my mom, but I have joint custody. I get the fun parts: Walks, Treats, and Love. My mom gets the not so fun parts: Poop, Mud, and Cost. Though I have contributed to, or completely paid for, all vet bills and groomings as needed, she gets the daily costs of food and upkeep. Nobody on this Earth loves me as much as those dogs do, especially Tiki. She loves me so much! The feeling is mutual of course, and they know it. They have me wrapped around their little fingers...uh, paws.

On those days I simply do not feel like venturing out on a hike because its too cold or too windy or too hot or too rainy, I go. I go for them. They make me feel so guilty otherwise. If ever I make a casual stop at my mom's house with no intention of walking "the girls", they look at me with their puppy dog eyes that say, "Pleeease, take us! Pleeeeease?" Most of the time I give in.

They are great motivators for me to get out and enjoy each day. I have come to appreciate those days that most people don't even think to appreciate. On those frigid below zero days, enough layers of clothing keep a person toasty warm. The snow covered winters are beautiful and majestic with some of the most beautiful scenery nature has to offer. It wasn't until those damn dogs motivated me to get outdoors that I fully came to experience what the winter season has to offer.

We don't often head out on a hike when the clouds open up and let go of their moisture, but when we do, it is majestic. There is something special about being outside in a warm rain. Because of those damn dogs, I have experienced it.

Then there are those days I simply do not have the energy or the desire to go for a walk, but those damn dogs have a magical spell over me, and away we reluctantly go. Usually following one of those dreaded walks, I come away with increased energy and usually a better spirit.

So if you ever need a little kick in the pants for some motivation to get moving, I suggest getting a damn dog. Or at least getting joint custody of one. Or two. I love those bitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment