Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Man who Has Everything and Does Nothing

So, who is the asshole who decided to make Father's Day just a few days away from my Dad's Birthday? Well, maybe the "asshole" is the person who made my dad's Birthday just days away from Father's Day. But that would be calling my Grandma an asshole, and since I never met her, I don't think that is quite fair. So the creator of Father's Day gets the Asshole Award.

Not only do I have to think of ONE gift to get him, but thinking of TWO gifts is nearly impossible. Some suggest I should get him one large "Two-for-One" gift which would be just dandy if I could think of a large gift to get him. He has everything he could possible want and need AND he has no hobbies to speak of.

Seriously, my dad is the most difficult person in this entire world to buy a gift for. For real. He does nothing but drink and smoke, and since I refuse to support the two habits that are killing him by buying him booze and cigs, I am at a loss. It used to be rather easy to buy him a smallish gift that he loved. Candy and crossword puzzles. But, he now has a monthly subscription to a crossword magazine and no longer eats candy like he used to, so that idea is in the crapper.

My dad has to be the laziest human on the planet. Even if I were to get him a gift certificate to get his car washed, he would have my brother drive his car to the car wash place. Crazy, right? Sometimes I think he had kids just so that we could do things for him. No, I don't think that, I KNOW that.

When I still lived at home, it was fun to buy him gifts because I would just think of tools or gadgets that would make life easier for ME, and I would buy him those gifts. He loved them, but I got to actually use them. I remember I wanted a hose reel so the hose was not all askew in the grass when I mowed the lawn. Father's Day came and my dad got a hose reel for a gift! Perfect! I no longer live at home so that trick won't work anymore.

After 30 some odd years of buying him gifts for Christmases, Father's Days and Birthdays, I am at a complete loss. This year, He may have to settle for a card.

No comments:

Post a Comment