Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hidden Treasures

Duluth is chalk full of special treasures and hidden gems.  My friend, Beth, introduced me to my new favorite place in the whole world and its been here, in my backyard (so to speak), my entire life.  What makes this place so special is that it is in the heart of the city, but feels like you are miles from nowhere.  You'd never know that a local high school was just a few feet from this beautiful trail if it weren't for a few truant teens sneaking onto the trail for a midday smoke.  Aside from that though, Tischer Creek has to be one of the most beautiful places in Duluth.

The beginning of the trail starts with descending a 100 year old staircase.

This staircase takes you into a canyon along the creekside where each turn in the trail brings one breathtaking sight after another.

 
Bridges take you across the creek and provide you with awesome sights of cascading waterfalls.  The sound of the rushing water reminds onlookers how powerful and mighty water can be.

On the bridge overlooking one of many waterfalls.

My favorite place on the trail is a large rock jutting out over a pool that blends two waterfalls creating a third waterfall just below.

The entire hike is filled with beautiful, natural creations.  The gushing rapids providing nature's purest concert.  Its awe inspiring to think that people walked this same path over 100 years ago.  Their spirits still present, not hauntingly so; more comforting.

100 year old path
Trees are magnificent and mighty.  Some have succumbed to nature's wrath and have fallen.  Depending on where you are in the path, you can look down and see the tops of trees below, or you can look up and see the base of the trees above.
Others provide super cool photo opportunities.




When the hike is over, you can't help but anticipate when you get to return for the next adventure at this spectacular creek.  I'm so excited to show my friends this trail and experience their reaction to Paradise at the bottom of that ancient staircase.

Thank you, Beth, for showing me this awesome trail.  A true gem.  Both the trail and you!

2 comments:

  1. I love you and Beth in your grad photos! I gotta see this place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was my pleasure to introduce you!!

    ReplyDelete