Thursday, May 26, 2011

Really, I'm not a snob

Nearly 20 years have passed since I graduated from high school.  Since then, I have kept in touch with a very select few, and they are about the only ones I remember.  Not that I am a snob or anything; I just have a memory problem.  And, frankly, high school wasn't that memorable. 

Lately though, I have run into a few past classmates.  I know this only because they brought it to my attention,  "hey, I went to high school with you" they pronounce.  "Uh, what's your name" says I.  Its very uncomfortable.  Usually after they reveal their name, I still can't place them. 

To make an awkward situation even more awkward (did you ever notice that the spelling of the word "awkward" is awkward in and of itself?), I have been having run ins with past classmates at my job.  For the average Joe, it probably wouldn't be a huge deal to run into an old acquaintance at your place of employment, but I work in a children's mental health hospital.  Children and teens are admitted for things like suicidal thoughts, homicidal thoughts, or acting out behaviors.  Whatever the case, its a matter of crisis. 

Once a parent informs me that we were classmates, I find it odd to utter the obligatory, "how are you" since their response could very well be:  "Oh, little Bobby here just microwaved our cat, then grabbed a knife and started stabbing his little brother with it while my boyfriend was passed out drunk on the couch and I was in the bedroom with the neighbor shooting up some heroin".  So I am not sure what my etiquette should be in this situation.

And don't forget, I don't remember them.  And they usually know it so I already come across as stuck up, and here I am in a position of potentially giving them advice on how to effectively give their own child a time out. 

At least I must not have changed all that much if they still recognize me after nearly 20 years.  Of course, I AM still wearing the same hairstyle........

1 comment:

  1. You look fabulous Darling. If they are embarrassed it is just because you look so GOOD after 20 years....

    ReplyDelete