Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Measures of Success

Today I had the privilege of taking the teens I work with outside after lunch.  Working in a locked inpatient setting prevents us from taking the kids outside to burn off some energy or reap the benefits of Vitamin D from the sun.  However, today I was working with the outpatient population so we ventured outside for a little basketball action. 

One would think bringing six suicidal teenagers out on a makeshift basketball court that doubles as a roof above our parking ramp is contradictory if not dangerous.  We haven't lost a kid yet.  A few basketballs, yes, but all of our kids are accounted for.

Watching them run around, laugh, and have fun today brought me back to my own childhood just for a moment.  Running and jumping used to be so effortless, and now it comes with great effort and a little bit of pain.  I pined for the ability to run, chase after a ball, and not need to sit and recover before I made a basket.  And still have energy to finish out the day as though I didn't exert myself at all.  Now, going for a low key, hour long walk is enough to wear me out for the rest of the day.

Something about supervising suicidal teenagers-on-a-roof also made me realize how innocent childhood should be and how, for the kids I work with, it isn't.  Running and laughing for these kids is sometimes as difficult for them as it is for me.  Their depression and circumstance prevents them from having the ability to experience that sense of innocence that should be mandatory for all kids. Watching them, for just a moment, put aside their adult size problems, be a regular kid, and have genuine fun, brought joy to my over exerted, fast beating heart.

At the end of the day, I didn't lose any basketballs or any teenagers.  And that, my friends, is a successful day on the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment