Monday, May 30, 2011

Dreaded Responsibility

I totally should have went to work today, on this, my day off.  My day off which also happens to be Memorial Day.  Memorial Day which happens to be holiday pay at work (double time and a half!), and which also happens to be crappy weather.  Rainy, foggy, cold, and windy.  Work called me on two occasions to go into work today and I avoided their phone calls both times despite the fact that I was on the call-in list. 

Instead, I went to bed last night at 9 PM and woke up this morning after 9 AM. Actually I awoke much earlier, but once I heard the thunder, saw the wind and rain, I snuggled up more snugly in my bed and went back to sleep until I don't know when.  I used to be a morning person, but lately, I am becoming more of a later morning person.

Once I awoke, that is, once I physically got out of bed, I ventured into the living room and turned on the TV where I sat for another few hours.  Snuggled in with my bathrobe and pink blankie.  Old movies from the 80's prove to be the perfect rainy day past time.

After I actually combed my hair and got dressed, (and by "dressed" I mean in a sweatshirt and sweatpants.  Putting on a bra was questionable, but on it went), I drove to my mom's where I ate a nice Memorial Day lunch and beat her in 3 out of 4 games of Scrabble. 

All the while with visions of dollar signs
going
       down
               the drain
 inside my head.

All the while with guilty feelings as the "not-doing-anything-on-my-day-off" syndrome kicks in.

All the while dreading returning to work tomorrow.

Still, laying in bed listening to the thunder and rain with Tino snuggled up underneath the covers is worth every down the drain dollar sign.  In fact, I loved it so much, I wish that I could do it again tomorrow.  Enter that big adult word of Responsibility.  Already this year I have used up more sick days than in my entire 13 year career at this job.  And its not even June.  So calling in is kind of out of the question as I would just sit home, do nothing, and worry about having called in.  So in to work I will go. 

Sometimes I hate responsibility.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes a rainy day curled up on the couch is just what the psychiatrist ordered.

    Oh and I didn't go on the list but work never called me on Monday! Weird...

    ReplyDelete