Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Child Called Dirt

Being the youngest, and only girl, in the family had its ups and downs.  At first, I was cherished by my brothers.  They fought over who got to hold me and play with me.  As I got a bit older, they soon figured out I was more of a pest than a treasure.  They were not very nice to me most of the time, and I had a variety of nicknames. 


The nickname that lasted that longest and had the biggest impact was "Dirt Bag".  So named for having dirty feet after playing outside barefooted.  For several years, my name was "Dirt".  Yes, even my nickname had its own nickname.  When friends called for me on the phone, my brothers would summon me to the phone by calling out "Dirt! Phone!"  As much as I tried to ignore them when they called me that name, getting a phone call was about the most exciting thing for a preteen girl.  Naturally, I had to respond.

Before too long, all of my brothers' friends referred to me as "Dirt Bag".  Even my own dad was known to call me "Dirt" once or twice.  For a while, I wasn't even sure my brothers knew what my given name was, and after a while longer, I just answered to whatever they called me.  "Dirt" or "Redneck" were the two most popular and longest lasting nicknames.


The power of my "Dirt Bag" nickname hit me when I went to visit one of my brother's friends who had been in an accident resulting in a Traumatic Brain Injury.  He was confused and disorganized requiring a one to one staff just for him.  When I first saw him and said hello, he immediately responded, "Dirt Bag?  HI!"   The nurse looked at me like he was really messed up, but I assured her that he knew exactly what he was talking about.  And exactly who I was. 

My brothers continued to call me horrible names until they started to need me.  Pretty soon, they started calling me "My Favorite Sister" when they wanted a babysitter for their children or money for themselves.  "Hi, My Favorite Sister.  Do you have 20 bucks I could borrow?" 

It was a long road from "Dirt Bag" to "Favorite Sister", but I am very glad I outgrew my childhood nickname.

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea they called you "Dirt!" Hope it wasn't too traumatic...seems sort of endearing and cute now...but I could be very wrong.

    Love the pics! I forget how much younger you are than your bros.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not traumatic at all. I didn't love it, but yeah, now its cute :)

    ReplyDelete