Friday, June 10, 2011

The Youngest Brother

My last post gave me an idea to blog about each one of my brothers.  I have favorite and not so favorite memories of each one of them.  I Thought I'd take some rare photos featuring just that one brother and me while putting together a few lingering memories.

Bill is the youngest of the 3 brothers, but is six years older than me.  When I was born, he was in Kindergarten and could not wait to get home to hold me.  Believe it or not, The Brothers, as they were not so affectionately called, used to argue over who got to hold me.  Since Billy was in half day Kindergarten, he was excited to come home and have me all to himself without having to share with the other two.  This is one of my mom's favorite photos:

Both babies were so tuckered out
Once it was my turn for Kindergarten, Billy was in the 6th grade and in the same school as me.  As a kid, I was a mommy's girl and did not want to go to school.  In fact, I was a pre-school drop out because I would rather stay home with mommy.   One day on the way to the car to go to pre-school, I fell and skinned my knee.  Mom couldn't resist my bawling and let me stay home from pre-school from then on :) 

My tears didn't work nearly as well once I got into the big leagues.  Yes, I cried for 2 weeks straight in Kindergarten. It was my big brother's job to ensure I was doing OK on the bus ride to school.  Not wanting to look like a sensitive brother, he decided to yell at me while I was sobbing on the bus.  He called me a big baby which didn't help matters any.  Like any little sister would, when I got home from school, I tattled on him!  He got yelled at when he got home, alright.  Mom told him he shouldn't yell at me, but he should comfort me instead.

The next day on the bus as I sat sobbing, my sweet brother took me upon his knee and began bouncing me as you would an infant.  Well, I guess I was acting like an infant.  Naturally, Mom asked me how the bus ride went, and naturally I told her that he bounced me on his knee.  Poor boy got yelled at once again for treating me like a baby.  Actually, he didn't get yelled at, per se, he just was informed that bouncing me wasn't necessary.  He can never do anything right.


Don't tell the other brothers, but Bill was probably always my favorite.  He is still the brother I am closest to, and he is the first one I run to when I need something fixed.  He runs to me whenever he needs something too, which is usually money.  He owes me the world right now which is why he would bed over backwards to help me however he can.  He is by far the most sensitive brother and the least social of any of us.  Life has been a constant struggle for him, though that is not to say he hasn't made some of those struggles for himself.  I just want to see him content for once.


Ready for my 9th Grade Dance.  Complete with puffy shoulders, permed side pony tail, and acne.
He once told his own daughter that he hopes she grows up to be like me. That was the best compliment any brother could ever say about his little sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment