Sunday, June 19, 2011

Saying I Love You

My family never utters those three words.  Its always implied and we all know we are loved.  We just never say "I love you" to one another.  The closest we get is the "Love ya" salutations on greeting cards. 

My Dad and I aren't super duper close, but we have always had a decent relationship.  His alcoholism has always been the first priority in his life which prevents our relationship from growing any deeper.  Ever since I moved out on my own, I get to see my dad mostly in his sober state which has been really nice. 

Me and my daddy taking a bubble bath :)
Today is Father's Day so I called home from work to wish him a Happy Father's Day.  Our conversation was brief, and by some random miracle, I ended our conversation with "I Love You".


Caught off guard, my dad kind of chuckled, said "Thank you, Doll" and that is how our conversation ended.  No "I love you, too".  Just a chuckle and a thanks.  But I opened the door for more "I love you's" to be spoken and maybe the next ones won't be quite so awkward.



No comments:

Post a Comment