Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Giving Birth

I did something I never thought I'd do today.  I gave birth.  Well, not to a bouncing human baby or anything, but rather to a rectangular piece of technology.  Otherwise known as a cell phone.  An Iphone 4 to be exact.

After months of contemplating the inevitable, I decided to join the modern times, abandon my stubborn ways, and purchase this new appendage.

An acquaintance warned me against getting one insisting that it would be the equivalent of  getting a child.  Indeed it is. 

Like a child, I must protect it.  Before leaving the house, I now have to take notice of where my phone is, and bundle it up to take along for the ride.  When it is in my presence, I must always be mindful of where it is, what it is doing.  When it is not in my care, I will, certainly, be wondering what it is doing.

And tonight, while washing dishes, my new "child" cried for me.  I debated whether or not to abandon my household duties to answer its cries, but decided it could wait.  Afterall, I don't want to spoil it, and my dishes had to get clean.

That brings me to my pledge.  I vow to not be a cell phone snob.  I won't make my new phone my priority when I am hanging out with buds.  Certainly I will become adept at hitting the "ignore" button.  My phone will not venture with me on most hikes (or at least be on SILENT) as I want to experience nature without the intrusion of technology.  I vow I will put my physically present friends above my technology texting friends remembering that the texters can wait.  It does not have to be much different than having a land line in that messages can be left, texts can be returned, and there is no law that says a phone MUST be answered (though I think some people believe that law does exist).

Much like a new baby requires an adjustment period, so does this new rectangular child of mine.  For the next few days, I will want it within my sight at all times, be scared to leave it when it comes time to go to work, and be eagerly anticipating  when I can pick it up once again.

Also, like a new baby, It was love at first sight.

1 comment:

  1. Holy Moly...you made the jump and you went all the way in with an iPhone! You'll have to let me know your new number.

    ReplyDelete