Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Learning to Share

My whole life I have never really had to share.  I had my own bedroom growing up, and having 3 brothers, I never even had to share clothes, belongings, or even toys really. Never have I had a roommate let alone a house guest if only for a week or so.  What's mine has always been, well.......mine.  And I like it that way.

So now that my niece has moved in, I have to learn to share.  Its an adjustment for sure.  For example, I came home from work today intending on doing laundry only to find the dryer full of all of her clothes.  She is not even here to remove them.  So I can either remove them myself or wait a bit longer to do my own clothes.  At least it is a good excuse to postpone the laundry :)

Sharing is not easy when I have spent 37 years doing what I want to do when I want to do it.  However, sharing my stuff is far easier than sharing my space.  Gone are the days of bathing (and peeing) with the door open. 

On the upside, my cats have a buddy when I am not home.  I have an extra body to help with shoveling or hauling in groceries.  Selfishly, it gives me peace of mind knowing I am doing the right thing by helping out a struggling family member.

And, if I die or take ill, I have someone who will be right here to find my lifeless body so the cats don't eat me.

No comments:

Post a Comment