Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Close Encounters with the Bear Kind

Just had a super cool, albeit, scary experience. Must share.

First, some background. On the trail where I walk the dogs, there are rumors of a bear den somewhere not far off the trail. For one year, I searched and searched for this den. Finally this winter, I found the den after literally almost falling into it. It is only about 20-30 feet from the walking trail and pretty easy to spot once you know where it is.

So this winter, I wanted to take pictures of this den. How often can a person get THAT close to a bear's den? Besides, if the bear was in there, he would be hibernating anyway. So I was able to get these pictures:


Throughout the season, I had heard several conflicting accounts. Some said the bear was in the den, and others said that bears do not return to their dens after they have occupied them. It was known that a bear had occupied this particular den in the past so perhaps it was empty.

Well, now it is Spring and I am curious what the den looks like without snow cover. How big IS the hole? What does it look like? As I return to the den, the thought crosses my mind that it IS Spring, and if a bear was slumbering in that den, he could be waking from his slumber. But, that was just a fleeting thought.

So I am snooping around the den thinking that it is a very large entrance and it looks rather deep. I really wanted to crawl inside. But I knew better than that. What I didn't know better was to stand in the entrance of this cave. I noticed a red coffee can on the floor of the den and was very curious to what may or may not be living in there. Then all of a sudden I hear a very loud RAWR and the bear sticks his head aggressively out of the den! Just his head and his 2 front, very large, paws (paws with claws). We even made eye contact, and I was close enough to this wild bear that I could have reached out and pet him if I chose. After making an abrupt scream, I consciounsly decided to run. Now, I know this is against bear survival rules, but he was still in his den, hopefully sleepy, and didn't appear to be following me or anything so I ran. Fast.

My heart was racing, my adreneline pumping, my body shaking. I was scared, but also super excited! Its a once-in-a-lifetime opporunity and I remained safe to its all good. I am so fortunate to have had such an opportunity, and even more fortunate to have escaped unscathed.

No comments:

Post a Comment