Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Crazy Windy

Upon the advice of my friend, Beth, I ventured down to the Lake on this crazy windy day.  Spared by the threats of a major spring blizzard dumping 12-18 inches of snow on us, we lucked out with gusty 40-60 MPH winds.  I missed out on seeing the massive waves on our massive Lake yesterday because I was nervous to leave my house for fear the blizzard would magically dump all of the snow in just a matter of minutes.  This morning I awoke to find no more snow on the ground than when I went to bed (and the snow was not even measurable) and the winds were still whooping.  I didn't want another opportunity to pass me by to see the sights our Lake has to offer so I phoned up a friend and we braved the strong winds and cold air to see our Lake in motion.

We pulled up to the little beach I visited just weeks prior.  Immediately exiting the vehicle we felt the force of the wind.  "Its even a little scary", my friend uttered.  Scary but exiting and exhilarating to be out in such conditions.  We attempted to climb the tall ice mountains to get the full view of the Lake in all her glory.  We could hear the waves crashing against the ice-cliff fence, but we could not see over their height.  In our attempts to climb the mountainous creations, we grew a little hesitant.  Standing on icy footing, the force of the wind literally knocked us over on a few occasions.  Though it wasn't sunny, both of us wore our sunglasses to help protect our eyes from the ice and sand blowing at us.  Still, the icy spray pelted our faces with stinging sensations.  Our attempts were futile at best; we soon admitted defeat to the weather and retreated to our car.

Determined as we were to see the sights we so eagerly anticipated, we drove to a more accessible area.  We may have been chickens, but we were brave little chickens at least!  Walking up the path to the Lake, we were again met with the resistance of blowing ice, sand, and wind, but we had better footing which made us feel more secure.   So, we went to our Lakewalk where the wave action did not disappoint.  It was loud and crashy and amazing.  Though still pictures can't do the beauty and amazement of the real life picture justice, I am including a few below. 
An ice crusted bench from the spray Lake Sprays.

I Love Our Lake!

1 comment:

  1. You really know how to capture the moment with pictures and words Kerisa! It was an adventure and truly the strongest I have ever seen our lake be. Thanks for the invite!

    Mel

    ReplyDelete