Saturday, March 26, 2011

Things I Learned From my Daddy

After writing Things I Learned From my Mama, I figured I had better be an equal opportunity daughter and write about those things I learned from my Father.  From watching my dad, as well as my brothers, I have learned how not live.  I've seen and felt the effects their behaviors and actions have on those they love, and I made the very conscious decision at a very early age that I was not going to be like them.  However, its not all bad, and my dad has certainly passed on some very important life lessons which I will now pass on to you via this post:
  • Children can be your slaves.  Now I know my dad loves us to death, and he probably loves us more now than when we were kids.  When we were young, though, it was evident that my dad had children to accomplish his neglected household duties.  We were his car washers, lawn mowers, snowplowerss, and remote controlers.  Yes, remote controls.  For those of you who are not old enough to remember a time without remote controls, there was a time when people had to get up from their sitting position and change the channel.  *Gasp*. I know, right?  Well, my dad would call me from my cozy bedroom where I was playing with my dollies to change the channel for him.  Not just once a day, more like once an hour.  Or more.  The inventor of the remote control is God.
  • Be on time.  Honestly we didn't do a whole lot as a family unit (in fact, I cannot remember one thing we did as an entire family....).  Once in a while, though, we had plans to go somewhere or do something with my dad after work.  Or even just waiting for the family meal (yes, there was a time that still occurred).  And we would wait.  And wait.  And wait.  Wait for my dad to make it home from his after work adventures.  After a while, we didn't wait anymore and just went about our business.  From this, I learned how inconsiderate it is to be late and strive very hard not to make people wait for me. In turn, I am chronically early.  Too early most of the time.
  • Be assertive.  My mom will sometimes try to put me down by saying something on the order of "you are just like your father" or "you have a bit of your father in you".  I take this as a compliment because my mom is very passive and my dad is very aggressive.  Combine the two, and you get assertive.  Me!  I stand up for myself and am proud to have a bit of my father in me.
  • Its who you know.  My dad knows a lot of people from many different trades and skill sets.  He has got out of speeding tickets and other traffic violations because a buddy pulled him over.  Most household projects were completed by friends he knew, and there was always a good deal on a used car.
  • Pay for the job when its done.  Because most of his friends did the little odd jobs around the house, Dad would often pay for the job up front.  Big mistake.  There are still unfinished jobs at my parents' house that he paid for in full.  It seemed strange for me, a teenager, to be lecturing my dad on the importance of paying for the work when the work was completed.  I was adamant about this, and yet, he didn't listen.  Sadly, I didn't  learn this lesson completely as I have already paid for the removal of my skunk who still has not been trapped.
  • Showering is overrated.  My dad does not shower by conventional standards choosing his own showering schedule.  Yet, he does not appear dirty or even have body odor.  That does not mean I intend to adopt his same showering schedule, but its still something I felt the need to share for some strange reason.
I am a perfect blend of my mom and dad, and I feel very blessed to still be learning from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment