Sunday, March 13, 2011

Technology and Me

To cell phone or to not cell phone, that is the question.  I am probably one of the last people on this Earth who do not have a real cell phone.  The phone I do have is an embarrassing $10 flip phone on a pay-as-you-go plan.  It runs me about $10 a month, if that.  It suits me just fine and I rarely use it.  However, I am contemplating getting a real cell phone. An IPhone perhaps?

Part of me desperately wants one to join the "in crowd".  To be included in all the texts taking place around me.  To have the ability to check the status of all my friends on facebook no matter where I am.  To get emails almost immediately.  To play games from the comfort of my cozy bed.  To get almost immediate answers to any question I may have just by doing a search from my phone.  You never know when you might need the words to the song played during opening credits of an 80's sitcom. 
 
A bigger part of me wants to be oppositional and refuse to jump on the bandwagon.  Its how I take a stand against what is popular.  I watched Friends in reruns because I didn't want to jump on the Friend's bandwagon, and I am just now starting to get on board the Grey's Anatomy train.  I don't like to do what is popular so I revolt.  Plus, I don't need a smart phone.  Though I know if I do get one, I will love it!  It will likely be a little soul sucking, and though I don't want to be at its every beck and call, I know I would be.  From what I know about the different "apps", I certainly don't have a need, or even a desire, to have any of them.  Or maybe I just don't know about the ones I do need or want.  Ignorance can be bliss.
 
Each day I inch a tiny step closer into caving into cell phone land, but I am not there quite yet.  My prediction is that I will likely have one by the end of the year much to the delight of many of my friends.  That will be the day a small part of me dies.  Die not only from the soul sucking cell phone itself, but also because I gave in to what society deemed as important.

1 comment:

  1. DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

    Or maybe a better strategy is "DON'T DO IT!"

    It will suck your soul and part of you will die; however, a whole new part of you will come alive!

    Plus, we could text during idol.

    ReplyDelete