Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Little Things (No, I don't mean Midgets)

Small things in life bring me great excitement.  I've written about how the daily mail excites me.  I've written about how numbers affect me, and how taking out the weekly garbage is just about the coolest thing in the world. 

For the past week, I have been anticipating the highlight of my year.  The exact moment that my car's odometer turned from 99999 to 100000.  Actually I have been fantasizing about that moment for about the past 5,000 miles.  **Me driving on a sunny day.  Perhaps the window is down.  A gentle breeze blowing through my hair.  A smile on my face singing along to the radio.  All of a sudden the last 9 on the right begins to turn.  Slowly. Slowly. Sloooowly.  Then BAM!  all numbers change to 100000 at once!  My smile turns into a big grin; maybe even laughter.  I drive to the Dairy Queen to celebrate such a milestone and watch as the mileage begins to climb once again.**

Yes, that was my fantasy. 

This past week I was watching carefully as it was nearing that magical moment.  I clearly remember the odometer reading 99953 (all odd numbers I might add.  A bit of foreshadowing?) and thinking to myself that I better be on my toes.  Mileage adds up fast. 

A day or two casually passed with me driving my car absentmindedly.  Imagine the horror when I took a peek at he dashboard and saw 100047!  Such disappointment!  Such sadness!  Such a letdown!  My fantasy turned into my worst nightmare and I haven't been able to recover. 

Being the optimist that I am, I am trying to look on the bright side.  There is still hope for catching the magical moment when the odometer turns to 111111.   Yes, that will be a special day indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment