Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Numbers

This is a rapidly written post to make "blog entry number 14". Upon reviewing my blog entries, I was aghast when I saw that I had 13 blog entries. That can't be good. Voila, born is blog numero 14. What a more perfect time to discuss my number superstition. Normally the number 13 is not a huge deal for me, but if there is something in my power to either make 12 or 14 of something, I will do it. It doesn't hurt anything, right?

My biggest superstition is with even numbers. Not sure when this all happened, but the longer I practice it, the more difficult it is to break. See, I will not get out of bed until my clock shows an even time. Usually, that just means I lay in bed an extra minute until the clock changes from 5:41 to 5:42. Not a big deal. The microwave and television volume must reflect even numbers as well. If someone else sets the TV volume, and its odd, I can handle it. I don't experience an all out panic attack or anything, but it lingers in the back of my mind. If I know the person well enough, I just ask them to turn the volume up or down one notch. Or I take control of things myself and adjust the volume for some obscure reason just so I can control that it is on an even number.

I didn't feel quite right living in my apartment when I had an odd address. I justified it because I lived on an even street number. Imagine my delight when I moved into my house and and it had an even address (simply disregard the fact that it has an odd street number).

I also feel bad for numbers. I feel bad for all numbers that are not 0 and 5. All the other numbers do not get as much attention. Most people set their alarm clock and microwave times for something that ends in 0 or 5. So I make sure that when I heat up my day old pizza, it goes in for 1 minute and 6 seconds. That way the number 6 gets some recognition. Also my alarm clock is always set for a time that ends with 2, 4, 6 or 8.

Call me crazy if you must, but I say I'm being oversensitive to the needs of some underutilized numbers. They appreciate it.

1 comment: