Wednesday, March 24, 2010

All My Single Ladies....

.....Put your hand up! That's right. Put your hand up high and proud. Show off that bare finger on your left hand with pride! I am in my mid 30's, single, and proud of it! Not only am I single, but I am very single. Not even in a relationship of any kind at the moment. Oh, There have been dates, boyfriends, and short term relationships. There have been crushes and desires. Right now, though, there is nothing. And I like it that way. The longer I am single, the more difficult it is to even comprehend being in a relationship. It may sound selfish, but I only have myself to worry about.

Many of my friends still try to "set me up" with some random guy from time to time. They seem to think that I WANT to be married or WANT to have someone to share my hard earned material things with. I don't. I really don't. If there happens a time when my Knight in Shining Armor does appear, AND he fits perfectly into my little life I have carved out for myself, that is fine. But I am not going to go out of my way to seek that out. No more blind dates. No more online dating profiles. So I politely decline any match making offers and leave them thinking that I am missing out on something called marriage.

Marriage is not all its cracked up to be. Most marriages end in divorce, heart ache, and hardship. Some don't. But I am not good at sharing and in a marriage, you have to share. Share time. Share money. Share space. Share things. My time, money, space, and things are mine, all MINE! I need my space, and lots of it. Alone time is critical for my sanity and the thought of sharing anything with anybody for 365 days in a year 24/7 for what is supposed to be forever, scares the hell out of me. So I stay single and happy.

Sure there are those days that I yearn for some strapping fellow to wrap his arms around me,give me a hug, tell me he loves me and that it will be alright. Sure there are those very lonely moments where I wish I had someone to walk hand in hand with on the beach. Sure there are those occasions where showing up single is an embarrassment. But those days are occurring less and less. The older I get the more comfortable I am being my own date.

Now when I run into someone and they ask me if I am dating anybody, I no longer put my head down in shame. Instead, I hold my head up high and strongly state that I am single, happy, and proud of it!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! You are my ally in the single lady field. Possibly my only one....

    ReplyDelete