Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Smells of Spring

Spring in the Northland. Ahhhh. Finally, we can take the plastic off and open our windows for the first time in months. Even with that bit of chill in the air, it feels wonderful. Spring is a time of rebirth, rejuvenation and mud. Pussy Willows and tulips are beginning to bloom, and sweet surprises are uncovered by the melting snow. As I discovered today, those sweet surprises come in many varieties depending on whom you ask.

So I am hiking along the partially snow and partially mud covered trail with "my" 3 dogs today. Everything is going quite smoothly. We navigate around the puddles when we can. Since I am wearing $14 Walmart water boots with a leopard print, I feel invincible. And I am. Too bad the dogs were not wearing their rubber boots. Or as it turns out, their rubber suits.

We're almost done with our hike. Even the car is in sight. I take a peek around to find all dogs are visible. All except one. The little ADHD terrier who sometimes tags along on my hikes has taken a detour. When she doesn't come back when I call her, I know what she is doing. Oh, she comes back alright. She returns with a very foul smell. That little shit found shit. She found her own sweet surprise and loved it so much she had to roll in it. Why must dogs do that? Either that shit (of the literal variety) was freshly made or else it was newly defrosted. Regardless, it was mushy and moist. And powerful enough to awaken my gag reflex. Not all Springtime smells make a person want to take a deep savory whiff.

No comments:

Post a Comment