Monday, March 29, 2010

Going to Nebraska?

When I feel like disappearing and running away from whatever I want to avoid, I dream of running away to Nebraska. Why Nebraska? Well, because who on God's Green Earth will think to look for me in Nebraska? Its unknown. There is not a movie titled "Sleepless in Nebraska". There is not a national slogan that says "I heart Nebraska". Whatever happens in Nebraska, probably does not stay in Nebraska and there are no major theme parks or attractions in Nebraska. Does Nebraska even have a professional sports team? I don't know. But I do know there are no famous Nebraska Potatoes or Nebraska Oranges and things are not bigger in Nebraska. So that is where I will go. Someday.

My best defense is avoidance. And I do it very well I might add. There are those days or weeks when I just want to disappear and leave everything in the dust. Poof. Leave no trace of where I am or where I am going. I have dreams of packing up and starting all over somewhere completely new and reinventing myself. Into what I don't know because I am who I am, and I kinda like it that way. Even in Nebraska, I think I'd still be me. You can't change what is at your core, and I don't want to anyway. Besides, I love my life here. I have the best friends any one person could ever hope for. My dysfunctional family is full of love and, when it really matters, we're there for one another.

Still, Nebraska calls my name from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment